In this English lesson,I'm going to help you learn
在这门英语课上,我将帮助你学习。
how to describe old things in English。
用英语描述旧东西的方法
I'll teach you 10 different ways
我教你十种方法
To describe something that's old。
为了描述那些古老的东西,
This is my tractor .
这是我的拖拉机
It was built in the late 90s。
建于90s末。
It's over 20 years old、which believe it or not、
二十多年了。
Is quite old for a tractor,
对拖拉机来说很老了
But it's an oldie,but a goodie。
但是那是奥地利的模特,但是是黄道带。
What that means,if you say in English
如果你说英语。
That something is an oldie,but a goodie,
有一件事是小的,但是是小礼服。
it ' s kind of an old-fashioned phrase,but I still use it。
虽然有点老套,但我还是用了。
It means that something is old、
这意味着旧的。
But it's still really,really good。
但是真的很好。
This tractor starts。
这台拖拉机马上就要开动了
This tractor runs really well。
这台拖拉机运转得很好
this tractor is always ready to do somework
这台拖拉机随时准备做一些工作
When I go to use it。
当我使用它的时候。
So it's an oldie,but a goodie。
所以那是奥运会模式,但是是黄道带。
So once again、in this English lesson、
再次,在这节英语课上,
I'll teach you a few more ways
我再教你几个方法
to describe something in English that ' s a little bit old。
用英语描述一些旧的东西。
(upbeat音乐)
(乐乐)
so we ' ve had this picnic table for a very long time。
我们的野生餐桌已经很久了
In fact,I used to do livestream
事实上,我以前做过的事。
Sitting at this picnic table,but my back would get sore。
坐在这张野餐桌上,但是后背疼。
But this picnic table is old、
但是这个野餐手表很旧了。
and an English phrase we might use to describe that
我们可以用一个英语短语来形容
Is to say,it's falling apart。
换句话说,它正在崩溃。
If you move this picnic table,
如果你移动野餐桌,
you have to be careful where you grabit,
你要小心抓住它
because some of the boards are in place,
因为有些木板已经就位。
But some have come loose。
但是有些人不受惩罚。
this picnic table is definitely falling apart。
这块野餐表显然是解体的。
it was actually on my list of jobs for the summer
那是我暑假的工作清单。
to put some screws in it and to fix this、
用螺丝修理它
but it ' s one of the jobs I didn ' t get to,
但这是我没找到的工作之一but this picnic table is definitely old,
但这个野餐表肯定是旧的
and it's definitely falling apart.
肯定是分崩离析的
Another phrase we sometimes use in English
另外一个短语我们有时用英语
to describe something that's old is the phrase, worn out.
来形容那些老的东西
If you look at this manure spreader behind me,
如果你看看我身后的撒肥器
if you look at the tire here,
如果你看看这里的轮胎
you'll see that it's tilted,
你会看到它倾斜了
something underneath is bent,
下面有东西弯曲
something underneath is rusted.
下面的东西生锈了
This manure spreader is worn out.
这个粪便撒布器被磨损了
It still works, but I don't want to put manure in it
还管用 但我不想把粪便放进去
and drive it because I feel like the tire will fall off.
因为我觉得轮胎会掉下来
This is definitely worn out.
这绝对是穿的
I have used this manure spreader for many years,
我用这个粪便撒撒了很多年
and I think over time through use, it has become worn out.
我想随着时间的推移它已经被磨损了
So another way we describe something that's old
我们用另一种方式描述一个古老的事物
in English is to say, it's worn out.
用英语说 它已经磨损了
Another phrase we use in English
我们用英文的另一句
to describe something that's old is to say,
描述一些古老的东西
it's starting to show its age.
开始显示它的年龄
The other day, I noticed that there is
那天我注意到
a rust spot on my van
我的车上锈迹斑斑
and the paint is starting to fall off down here.
涂料在这里开始脱落
This van is only about 10 or 11 years old,
这辆货车只有 10 或 11 年
but it's starting to show its age.
但现在开始显示它的年龄了
That's the English phrase I would definitely use
那是我肯定用的英文词
to describe something like this.
来形容这件事
This van is kind of old.
这车有点老了
It's not that old.
还没那么老
In my mind, it still seems quite new,
在我看来还是很新的
but it's definitely getting old.
但肯定老了
It's definitely starting to show its age.
它肯定开始显示它的年龄
Another way to describe something that's old
另一种描述旧事物的方法
and not usable anymore is to say, it's shot.
无法使用的是它被射中了
This chair is shot.
这椅子被击中了
We've used this for many years,
我们用了这么多年
but one day someone sat in it and this piece broke off,
但有一天有人坐在里面
this piece fell off and it's not repairable.
这件件掉下来是无法修复的
I would describe this chair by saying, it's shot.
我用它来形容这个椅子 它是被枪击的
In English, when you say something is shot,
在英语中 当你说某件事时
it means it's old.
就意味着它已经老了
It means it's broken.
意思是它坏了
It means you can't fix it.
意思是你不能修好它
And it's no longer usable.
这已经不再有用了
This chair is definitely shot.
这椅子肯定中弹了
Another funny phrase, I think,
另一个有趣的词我想
to describe something that's old in English
用英语描述一些古老的东西
is to say, it's as old as the hills.
就是说 它跟山一样老
I'm up here in my barn
我在我的谷仓
because I wanted to show you this beam.
因为我想给你看这个光束
This barn was built almost 100 years ago.
这个谷仓建于 100 年前
So this beam is as old as the hills.
所以这条梁和山丘一样古老
In English, when you say something is as old as the hills,
在英语中 当你说什么东西像山丘一样古老时
you're kind of saying that whatever you're talking about
你是说无论你在说什么
is as old as the earth, as old as the hills
和地球一样古老如山
and valleys that we see around us.
和我们身边的山谷
So this beam is doing a really good job.
所以这个光束是做得非常好的
Even though it's as old as the hills,
尽管它和山丘一样古老
it's still keeping the barn straight and level.
还能保持仓库的平直度
It's still doing what it's supposed to do,
它还在做它应该做的事
even though it's as old as the hills.
尽管它和山丘一样古老
So interestingly enough, I found this old TV
有趣的是我找到了这个旧电视
while I was up here in the haymow,
我在海摩的时候
and it reminded me of a couple more words.
这让我想起了几句
You could say this TV is obsolete.
你可以说电视已经过时了
You could say this TV is outdated.
你可以说这个电视已经过时了
Not a lot of people use TVs like that anymore.
不是很多人都用这样的电视了
Most people have big flat screen TVs,
大多数人都有大屏幕电视
and they hook them up to a satellite dish or to cable TV.
他们会把他们拉到卫星盘子里或者有线电视上
Not a lot of people use a TV
不是很多人用电视
like this anymore with an antenna.
就像用天线一样
This one's definitely obsolete,
这个肯定已经过时了
and it's a little bit outdated.
有点过时了
And it's also very, very dirty.
而且它也很 很脏
I guess it's been up here for quite a few years.
我想这在这里已经有好几年了
I think my brother used to have
我觉得我哥哥以前
a climbing wall in this haymow,
在海苔里的爬墙
and his friends and him used to come and climb,
他的朋友和他以前常来爬
and then watch this little TV.
然后看这个小电视
So anyways, now it's obsolete.
不管怎样 现在已经过时了
Now, it's outdated.
现在已经过时了
The phone I use is a Pixel 3.
我使用的电话是 Pixel 3
It's a little bit old,
有点老了
but it still does everything I want it to do.
但它还是做了我想做的一切
But someone could describe this phone
但有人能形容
as an old piece of crap.
就像旧的废话
Sometimes instead of crap, we use the S-H-I-T word,
有时候我们用的是 S -H-I-T 字
but I don't want to say that word in an English lesson.
但我不想在英语课上说这个词
I think this is a good phone,
我觉得这是个好电话
but it is getting a little bit old.
但它有点老了
Someone who likes to buy a new phone every year
喜欢每年买一部新手机的人
might say to me,
对我说
"Bob, your phone is an old piece of crap."
" 鲍勃你的电话是个老玩意儿 "
I wouldn't really appreciate that.
我不会太感激你的
I like to take care of my phone
我喜欢接电话
and use it as long as I possibly can,
用尽可能长的时间
but, you know, the more I think about it,
但是我越想越想
in about a year or two, I'll probably replace it,
大概一两年我就可以更换了
but I would never call it an old piece of crap.
但我绝不会把它叫做老废话
This phone has been very good to me.
这个电话对我很好
I've really enjoyed it.
我真的很喜欢
Another phrase we sometimes use in English
另外一个短语我们有时用英语
to describe something that's old is wear and tear.
来描述那些古老的东西
This hay elevator has a lot of wear and tear.
这款干草电梯有很多损耗
We have used this hay elevator every year
我们每年都用干草电梯
to send hay bales up into our haymow for storage.
把草草送到我们的海草里储存
As we use it, though, the pieces wear on each other.
当我们用它时 这些碎片会互相磨损
We oil it so that there's not as much wear and tear,
我们油的是不会有那么多的损耗
but as you use something like this,
但当你用这种东西
as it turns and as the chain moves and as the gear turns,
随着链条的移动随着齿轮的转动
there's a certain amount of wear and tear.
有一定的损耗
So another way to describe something
用另一种方法来描述
that's old in English
英语中的旧语
is to say it has a lot of wear and tear.
是说它有很多的损耗
My trailer has a lot of rust on it.
我的拖车上面有很多锈迹
In fact, if I do this, I can even pull some of the rust off.
事实上 如果我这样做 我甚至可以把一些铁锈掉下来
This trailer is a bit of a rust bucket.
这个拖车是有点生锈的桶
When we say something is a rust bucket in English,
当我们说什么是英文的铁锈桶时
we mean that it's old.
我们的意思是它老了
And we definitely mean that it's rusting.
我们的意思是生锈了
You can see here, there's a lot of rust.
你可以看到这里有很多锈迹
We could say, it's rusting out.
我们可以说这是生锈了
We could say, Bob's trailer is a rust bucket.
我们可以说鲍勃的拖车是铁锈桶
It's been a good trailer, but it's so rusty,
这是个不错的预告片但它太生锈了
I'm not sure how to fix it.
我不知道怎么解决
I'm gonna make an attempt this winter to fix it,
我要在这个冬天做个尝试
but I think it's actually rusted through.
但我觉得它已经被腐蚀了
It might not be a very easy job to fix this trailer
修复这个拖车可能不是一件容易的事
because it's such a rust bucket.
因为它是个生锈的水桶
Well, thank you so much for watching this English lesson
非常感谢你收看英语课
about how to describe things that are old in English.
如何描述英语中的旧事物
Remember, if this is your first time here,
记住如果这是你的第一次
don't forget to click that subscribe button there,
别忘了点击那里的预订按钮
and give me a thumbs up if this video
如果这视频能让我竖起大拇指
helped you learn a bit more English.
帮你学习了更多的英语
And if you're interested in other English lessons
如果你对其他英语课程感兴趣
about how to describe people
如何描述人们
who are good at something or bad at something,
善于做坏事的人
you can watch these English lessons right here.
你可以在这里看这些英语课